Manage Immunisation Emergencies
(incorporating HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation)
This course is available for Individuals and Group Bookings.
As health professionals providing vaccination services it is critically important that we maintain our knowledge of issues around immunisation and the skills to respond to vaccination emergencies which while rare, can be severe and life-threatening and require an immediate and skilled response.
This course includes:
- Revise pre-vaccination screening to prevent vaccine reactions
- Prevent Shoulder Injuries Related to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA)
- Understand the pathophysiology of anaphylaxis and the role of adrenaline
- Practice team-based emergency responses
- CPR for infants, children and adults – HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (delivered in partnership with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909)
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- Non-accredited Manage Immunisation Emergencies
- HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
This course can be delivered/assessed in the workplace or at facility organised by VaxWorks Health Services.
Course durations can vary for multiple reasons, so the durations below are the minimum possible time. Pre-course study is in addition to the minimum possible time below:
- Online CPR with face-to-face assessment and Face-To-Face Immunisation Update
At least 2.5 hours
Participants must have the physical capacity to perform the practical demonstrations, such as 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on the floor.
Online study: Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
Participants must hold AHPRA registration as a health professional whose scope of practice includes the administration of vaccines or be studying towards a qualification leading to AHPRA registration
This course has the following pre-requisites which much be successfully completed prior to undertaking this unit of study:
- The Melbourne Vaccine Education Centre Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA) online course
- The ASCIA Anaphylaxis e-training for health professionals 2023 online course OR the ASCIA Anaphylaxis refresher e-training for health professionals (plus evidence of completion of an earlier version of this course)
Performance tasks and practical scenarios:
- Risk assessment of clients presenting for vaccination
- Identification of correct injection sites
- Management of anaphylaxis and administration of adrenaline
- Perform CPR on an adult (incl. the use of a bag-valve mask, AED and placing a casualty into the recovery position)
- Perform CPR on an infant
Theory assessment: A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice questions.
Performance tasks and Practical scenarios:
- Perform CPR on an infant
- Perform CPR on an adult (incl. the use of an AED)
- Advanced airway management including ventilation with a BVM and use of oropharyngeal airways
- Management of an anaphylaxis episode, including the administration of adrenaline
When attending this course, please:
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Bring photo identification (Drivers License, Passport, Photo ID, Student Card)
Certificates will require renewal after 12 months.
Please note that enrolment to this course is made with VaxWorks Health Services in partnership with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909.
Please refer to the student handbook located on the RTO website allenstraining.com.au for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.
- Nurse Immunisers
- Practice Nurses
- General Practitioners
This course can be delivered/assessed in your workplace or at a facility organised by us.