Assist Clients with Medication
This course is available for Individuals and Group Bookings.
Participants will learn about the importance of checking and confirming the care plan and details, client identity, correct medication including expiry dates, dosage instructions, correct dosage. And conducting pre and post administration client checks, cleaning equipment, disposal, and storage of medications according to organisation procedures.
The skills in this course apply to community services and health workers with authority in their State or Territory to assist with the administration of medication and must be used in accordance with Commonwealth and State/Territory legislation, Australian/New Zealand standards and industry codes of practice.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- HLTHPS006 – Assist clients with medication
This course can be delivered/assessed in the workplace or at facility organised by VaxWorks Health Services.
Course durations can vary for multiple reasons, so the durations below is the minimum possible time:
At least 14 Hours
At least 14 Hours
- Online with face-to-face assessment
At least 1 Hour
- Participants will need to provide their existing Unique Student Identifier (USI) or create one at usi.gov.au
- Participants must complete the online pre-course study prior to attending
- Participants must be physically able to work effectively with clients, use administration equipment and resources to provide assistance to administer placebo medication to clients and store equipment after use.
Online study options:
- Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online studies.
- The Online delivery with face to face Practical assessment delivery mode includes video assessment questions. Occasionally the student will be required to make a video of themselves, either verbally explaining or demonstrating the required assessment outcome. If you do not wish to complete video assessment questions, please consider an alternative mode of delivery (for e.g. a blended or full face to face course).
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Please note: The Online delivery with face to face Practical assessment delivery mode includes video assessment questions. Occasionally the student will be required to make a video of themselves, either verbally explaining or demonstrating the required assessment outcome. If you do not wish to complete video assessment questions, please consider an alternative mode of delivery (for e.g. a blended or full face to face course).
- Scenario 1 – Provide assistance with medication – Asthma
- Scenario 2 – Provide assistance with medication – Anaphylaxis
- Scenario 3 – Provide assistance with medication – PRN Liquid Paracetamol
- Scenario 4 – Provide assistance with medication – Eye Drops
- Scenario 5 – Provide assistance with medication – Tablets
Documentation – The student must complete the following to the appropriate standard:
- Incident Report Forms
- Medication Administration Forms
Theory assessment – A written assessment consisting of short answer and multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.
When attending this course, please:
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Bring photo identification (Driver’s License, Passport, Photo ID, Student Card)
This certificate does not require renewal.
Please note that enrolment to this course is made with VaxWorks Health Services in partnership with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909.
Please refer to the student handbook located on the RTO website allenstraining.com.au for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.
- Individuals working in various care and support roles in the community and health services