Provide First Aid in an Education and Care Setting
This course is available for Individuals and Group Bookings.
Providing effective, lifesaving first aid interventions requires instruction and practical training. As with any training, it is more useful if training occurs before being confronted with a real-life situation, particularly in an education and care setting.
This course has been developed for educators and support staff working within an education and care setting who are required to respond to a first aid emergency, including asthmatic and anaphylactic emergencies. It is delivered in line with the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines.
During training you will gain the confidence and ability to recognise an emergency, identify hazards and make them safer, and provide a first aid response to infants, children, and adults.
You will also learn the importance of recognising the possible psychological impacts on self, other rescuers, and children, talking with children about their emotions and responses to events and participating in debriefing with your supervisor.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- HLTAID012 – Provide first aid in an education and care setting
- HLTAID011 – Provide first aid
- HLTAID010 – Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID009 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (to be renewed annually)
This course can be delivered/assessed in the workplace or at facility organised by VaxWorks Health Services.
Course durations can vary for multiple reasons, so the durations below are the minimum possible time:
At least 6 Hours
At least 6 Hours
At least 8 Hours
- Online with face-to-face assessment
At least 30 Mins
- Participants will need to provide their existing Unique Student Identifier (USI) or create one at usi.gov.au
- Participants must complete the online pre-course study prior to attending
- Participants must have the physical capacity to perform the practical demonstrations, such as 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on the floor.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
Performance tasks and Practical scenarios:
- Perform CPR on an infant
- Perform CPR on a child (incl. the use of an AED)
- Perform CPR on an adult (incl. the use of an AED)
- Breathing difficulties – Asthma
- Anaphylaxis (allergic reaction)
- Choking with airway obstruction
- Head injury/ Unconscious breathing casualty
- Bleeding and shock
- Snake or funnel-web spider bite
- Sprains and fractures
- Seizures and epilepsy, including febrile convulsions
- Poisoning and toxic substances
The student must complete the following to the appropriate standard:
- Incident report forms
A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.
When attending this course, please:
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Bring photo identification (Drivers License, Passport, Photo ID, Student Card)
Certificates will require renewal after 36 months.
Please note: HLTAID009 is valid for 12 months and should be renewed every year.
Please note that enrolment to this course is made with VaxWorks Health Services in partnership with Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909.
Please refer to the student handbook located on the RTO website allenstraining.com.au for all details relating to rights and responsibilities including complaints and appeals.
- School teachers
- Early Childhood Educators
This course can be delivered/assessed in your workplace or at a facility organised by us.