Some people are more likely to develop severe illness from seasonal flu and human swine flu. They include:
- pregnant women
- young children aged 6 months to under 5 years
- people aged 65 years of age and older
- Aboriginal Australians
- very obese people
- people with underlying medical conditions including
- heart disease
- chronic respiratory conditions
- chronic neurological conditions
- people with weakened immune systems, which may be caused by cancers, HIV/AIDS or certain medications.
If you are in one of the groups above, you:
- are strongly encouraged to get vaccinated against flu
- should seek medical attention if you develop flu symptoms.