Hepatitis A Vaccinations
VaxWorks can provide onsite hepatitis A vaccination programs for your employees in all capital cities – clinics can be held onsite at your workplace, at our Brisbane office or a partner occupational health clinic in other States and Territories.
What is Hepatitis A?
Hepatitis means ‘inflammation of the liver’. Hepatitis A is caused by the hepatitis A virus. It is spread through contact with people infected with the disease, their fluids or waste. It affects your liver and usually causes mild illness but can sometimes be severe and result in liver failure. Adults are more likely to have severe symptoms than children.
Immunisation is the best protection against hepatitis A infection and a course of vaccination is recommended for anyone in a high-risk occupational group including:
- People who live or work in rural and remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, or Western Australia
- People who regularly provide care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, and Western Australia
- Early childhood educators and carers
- Carers of people with developmental disabilities
- Plumbers and sewage workers
Once VaxWorks has been advised an employee requires vaccination, we will:
- Request your employee to provide any vaccination records they may have and conduct a search on the Australian Immunisation Register to determine the employee’s vaccination history
- Contact your employee to advise them they either:
a) Do not need to get vaccinated as they are already immune; or
b) Attend a nominated clinic to complete a course of three vaccines over a period of 6 months
- Once the employee commences their course of vaccines, they will be sent reminder emails to return for subsequent vaccinations
All vaccination records and pathology results (if needed) will be stored in our clinical software and vaccination records uploaded to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR), ensuring employees have an accurate, ongoing, and reliable record of their vaccination.
Please note that if your staff require both hepatitis A and hepatitis B vaccination, this can be completed using a combination vaccine.